Situated 3km south of Sydney’s CBD, Zetland has transformed from its industrial past into a modern, vibrant inner city residential precinct that includes Victoria Park and Green Square.
The mixed-use development, East Village, formed a key part of this transformation. Rook Partners was engaged in 2008 to provide strategic retail planning and leasing services for the project, working closely with the design and development teams.
Key project objectives:
1. Create a convenient, vibrant hub for the new and emerging community
2. Establish a high quality retail offer with a local market vibe inspired by Chelsea Markets (NYC) and Borough Market (London)
3. Ensure the retail and residential uses integrated effectively
4. Create the best performing neighbourhood shopping centre in Australia
From the outset, we wanted to instill the atmosphere of the village marketplace. Inspiration for the retail development was taken from the best fresh food markets around the world, as we sought to create a unique, sophisticated urban marketplace – a space where people would choose to shop, eat and socialise
Key project outcomes:
1. Winner of a multitude of Australian and International awards including the 2016 Property Council of Australia Best Mixed-use Development of the Year
2. Highly successful shopping centre
3. Best in class fresh food retailers introduced
4. Community services introduced including medical centre and Montessori Academy childcare centre
5. Lifestyle services include a Virgin Active gym and Audi service centre